Saturday, January 18, 2014

Costco Makes Me Racist

I really like Costco. I can buy all sorts of shit there and often it is a bargain. Other times, it's a deceptive punch in the face that tricks in me into buying way to much of something that I'll end up throwing away, but whatever.

But whenever I go to Costco, I inevitably want to start yelling things at and about various groups of people. Why? Because I see similar behavior from similar types of people. Now, I should really just be fair and say that it seems to be more of a "Costco Type" and not break it down into racial bullshit, but guess what, everybody has racist thoughts. I don't care how super-awesome-open-minded-liberal-progressive-all-people-are-great you think you are, you DO have racist thoughts. Because that's how we are. We, as humans, label and categorize everything.... including other humans.

That guy over there has slanty eyes, so he goes in the slanty eyed people category

That lady has dark skin... dark skinned people category

That dude smells like sweat and olive oil... probably Italian.

Look, there is nothing inherently wrong with this. Its natural. As a species, we evolved with a survival instinct to be at least a little bit wary of anything not like us. Not like us = maybe has completely different goals than us which could cause problems for our survival goals.

The problem is when you let those thoughts become mantra and then become actions and words that have no basis in logic or rationality, but rather some primal sense of fear and distrust built upon a foundation of not a goddamn thing.

But anyway, I'm off topic.

Look [Asians], I realize Costco is fucking awe inspiring with it's pallet shelving towers and 8 foot tall piles of khackis. But for fuck sake, you aren't the only ones walking down the aisles so when you suddenly stop or just walk in front of me with no warning, you might get hit. Have some fucking common courtesy and be aware of other human beings!

[Black ladies] on phones! Do it somewhere other than the middle of the aisle so other people can get by!

[Old People of all races and genders]! What the fuck is wrong with you!?!??!

Strictly speaking, you can pretty much just substitute any race, age, or gender into each bracket and it will still work, because there is a strange energy in Costco that turns otherwise normal, observant people (well, maybe... based on what I see in other stores, I think a large percent of the population are just assholes everywhere) into oblivious pricks. My problem is that my brain is strongly motivated to categorize and organize things and so it just starts picking up on any little similar detail.